What is PE and Sport Premium ?
The government provides additional funding to improve the provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding is allocated to primary schools and is ring-fenced so can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools. Funding for schools is calculated by the number of primary-aged pupils (between the ages of 5 and 11) on roll.
Purpose of funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they have some freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding could include:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE.
- supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs.
- paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport.
- providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport.
- running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games Mark.
- buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport.
- providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs.
- pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools.